Re: module: add debugging alias parsing support

From: Djalal Harouni
Date: Mon Dec 04 2017 - 04:01:12 EST

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 02:17:11PM +0100, Jessica Yu wrote:
>> Just some quick questions - are there any plans to use these in-kernel
>> module aliases anywhere else? Or are you using them just for debugging?
>
> As-is for now just debugging, but this could also more easily enable folks to
> prototype further evaluation of its uses. IMHO just having this at least posted
> online should suffice the later aspect of enabling folks to prototype.

I confirm that, after the module auto-load discussion where it is
clear that we need to improve the infrastructure, this debug
information may save some time, maybe someone can automate a script go
through modules and then on filesystem, however these patches may show
which module lead to load another one, right ? on userspace if there
are multiple dependencies it can be difficult I think.

> You're right that one can find aliases in userspace. One of the benefits
> of having this dump things on the kernel log is just that you can easily
> get the aliases printed out for all modules actually loaded for your system
> without much effort. I did find this useful when debugging and found it much
> more convenient than scraping modules one by one by hand in userspace.
>
> I had this implemented since 2016, and I had some ideas to use them in a
> functional way, however I first had to knock out a series of of fixes for
> kernel/kmod.c and setting up a baseline test infrastructure for kmod
> (tools/testing/selftests/kmod/ and lib/test_kmod.c) as such I hadn't had time
> to yet come around and finish benchmarking the alias enhancement ideas I had
> started evaluating.
>
> As such having aliases in-kernel currently are only useful for debugging and
> prototyping.

I would say so, however no strong argument if it should be mainlined.
Luis in your commit log you say:

"Obviously userspace can be buggy though, and it can lie to us. We
currently have no easy way to determine this."

Could you please share some info here ? how userspace can be buggy ?

Thank you!

--
tixxdz