Re: [GIT PULL] RISC-V Cleanups and ABI Fixes for 4.15-rc2

From: Palmer Dabbelt
Date: Fri Dec 01 2017 - 20:47:11 EST

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 16:47:16 PST (-0800), Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Palmer Dabbelt <palmer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been maintaining the various cleanup patch sets I have as their own
branches, which I then merged together and signed. Each merge commit
has a short summary of the changes, and each branch is based on your
latest tag (4.15-rc1, in this case). If this isn't the right way to do
this then feel free to suggest something else, but it seems sane to me.

The individual branches with merges look fine.

What I don't really like is how very recent they are. Many of the
commits were done today, and thus clearly were never through the 0-day
robot etc.

I don't actually think the 0day robot does RISC-V at all, at least not
yet, so in this case it probably doesn't really matter, but in general
I _hate_ seeing pull requests that come in on a Friday afternoon where
a lot of the commits clearly happened that same day. It's simply a
sign of things likely having been rushed, which in turn often leads to
issues down the line.

The 0-day robot doesn't do RISC-V, but we're working on getting better CI infrastructure setup now that we're upstream. Olof has started running builds through his builder, which is where many of the fixes came from.
I think we're probably not quite ready for the 0-day robot yet:
* We still have an allmodconfig failure, but there's a patch out to fix that.
* binutils-2.29.1 and gcc-7.2.0 have a handful of bugs that were found when pushing on Linux, the next releases should have fixes for these. We have backports, so this might not be a big deal.
* There's no way to boot the kernel in an easy to automated fashion. Our QEMU port is a WIP, and I currently test our port by swapping SD cards. This might not be a big deal, since the port as it stands can't do much in the way of a boot test anyway.

I'll ping kbuild-all with a better subject and figure out the right thing to do.

So the structure of the history looks ok, but I hope that "very
recently made" is a one-time thing rather than a pattern. Ok?

OK, sorry about that. It sounds like this is a good excuse to figure out how we're going to stage commits in RISC-V land -- I've been a bit unprepared for the pace of kernel development on RISC-V, I didn't think I'd see so many people poking around in our port so quickly :).

If you'd like, I can let these bake for a few days? I don't mind if they don't get in until rc3. I can either ping this pull request or send another one, whatever's easier for you is OK for me.