Re: omapfb/dss: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in three functions

From: SF Markus Elfring
Date: Tue Nov 28 2017 - 04:13:12 EST

> How many times have I told you to include the reason for
> your patches in your proposed commit message?

It might be useful to look again.

> Too often.

I answered this feedback to some degree.

> Many people do not know that a generic kmalloc does a
> dump_stack() on OOM.

This is another interesting information, isn't it?

It is expected that the function âdevm_kzallocâ has got a similar property.

> That information should be part of the commit message.

How do you think about to provide it also in any reference documentation
in a clearer way?

I would be more confident then to copy it into my messages.
Do you want that I take your current answer as an official note
for my work (instead of waiting for adjustments of other areas)?

> Also removing the printk code reduces overall code size.

Such an effect can be nice if the involved contributors can agree on
the deletion of questionable error messages at all.

> The actual size reduction should be described in the
> commit message too.

For which hardware and software combinations would you like to see
facts there?

Regards,
Markus