Re: [patch V4 01/11] Documentation: Add license-rules.rst to describe how to properly identify file licenses

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sat Nov 25 2017 - 14:17:34 EST

On Sat 2017-11-25 09:11:58, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > That does not sound like he was deciding between /* */ and //. And
> > actually this was in context of files with no existing license. You
> > made the ugly patches. Stop hiding behind Linus.
>
> No, Linus happily stands up for //.
>
> I really don't like one-liner /* */ comments. Let's face it, // was
> the _one_ thing C++ got right, among all the horrible bad decisions.
>
> I think we should just start moving to // in general, but only when
> adding new ones (ie I don't want to see any automatic conversion
> patches).
>
> And it's _particularly_ true for the whole case where we mix
> one-liners like the SPDX line with block comments. That's where /* */
> really sucks.

I agree that we should not do

/* SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0+ */
/*
* Driver for SMSC USB3503 USB 2.0 hub controller driver
*
* Copyright (c) 2012-2013 Dongjin Kim (tobetter@xxxxxxxxx)
*/

There's logical place in the comment, and it should look like this:

/*
* Driver for SMSC USB3503 USB 2.0 hub controller driver
*
* SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0+
* Copyright (c) 2012-2013 Dongjin Kim (tobetter@xxxxxxxxx)
*/

So I'm not saying "use one-line comments with SPDX identifier". I'm
saying place it where people expect it.

Best regards,
Pavel