Re: POWER: Unexpected fault when writing to brk-allocated memory

From: Florian Weimer
Date: Tue Nov 07 2017 - 06:26:23 EST

On 11/07/2017 12:15 PM, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:

First of all, using addr and MAP_FIXED to develop our heuristic can
never really give unchanged ABI. It's an in-band signal. brk() is a
good example that steadily keeps incrementing address, so depending
on malloc usage and address space randomization, you will get a brk()
that ends exactly at 128T, then the next one will be >
DEFAULT_MAP_WINDOW, and it will switch you to 56 bit address space.

No, it won't. You will hit stack first.

That's not actually true on POWER in some cases. See the process maps I posted here:

<https://marc.info/?l=linuxppc-embedded&m=150988538106263&w=2>

Thanks,
Florian