Re: mmc: vub300: Use common code in __download_offload_pseudocode()

From: SF Markus Elfring
Date: Tue Oct 31 2017 - 05:15:52 EST

>>> What's the advantage of this patch? The new code seems more complicated
>>> to me and GCC automatically reuses duplicate constant strings so there
>>> is no memory savings.
>>
>> It looked to me that the error path got a bit cleaner. However, I
>> guess it's matter of taste.
>>
>> If you insist, I can drop it.
>
> I'm on the kernel-janitors list so I am CC'd on all of Markus's patches.

Do you want that I omit this address from the list of recipients?

> It's not my code and I'm tired of being the anti-Markus guy

Interesting â

But I got the impression that this special relationship resulted
also in a few useful side effects.

> so this patch is fine.

Thanks for another bit of acceptance.

> Markus has a tool that finds duplicate strings and he uses gotos
> to avoid them.

Yes. - The script which I am using for the semantic patch language
(Coccinelle software) can not only find this implementation detail
but also duplicate source code generally to some degree.

> I don't think duplicate strings are a problem

They can become an issue for further considerations if inappropriate
error messages were used for example.

There are more statement combinations which can be improved a bit more.

> or that it's a good idea to send over a hundred patches using this method.

The change acceptance is varying as usual.

> But many people have explained that to Markus already

I hope that my contributions can improve the affected software in some areas.

> and that's not the bigger picture which is about error handling and labels.
> What I like are labels that are necessary and self explanatory.

It seems that this is a topic where you got strong opinions about.

> You're reading along and you're like "what happens at the err" label?

Would you accept any further adjustments around questionable jump targets?

Regards,
Markus