Re: DMA error when sg->offset value is greater than PAGE_SIZE in Intel IOMMU

From: Robin Murphy
Date: Wed Sep 27 2017 - 13:18:17 EST

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 16:31:04 +0000
Casey Leedom <leedom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

From my experience, in general terms each scatterlist segment
represents some contiguous quantity of pages, of which sg->page is the
first, while sg->length and sg->offset describe the specific bounds of
that segment's data. As such, the length may certainly (and frequently
does) exceed PAGE_SIZE; for the offset, it's unlikely that the producer
would initially construct one greater than PAGE_SIZE instead of just
pointing sg->page further forward, but it seems reasonable for it to
come about if some intermediate subsystem is processing an existing
list in-place (as seems to be the case with crypto here).

My opinion is that this may be a slightly unusual case, but I would
not consider it an illegal one. I think most DMA mapping
implementations would handle it whether intentionally or not.

Robin.