Re: [git pull] vfs.git regression fix Re: Regression related to ipc shmctl compat

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Tue Sep 26 2017 - 02:42:31 EST

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 06:37:28PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Pulled and pushed out, but I'd like to note that sparse would have
> caught this. Except we are so far away from being sparse-clean that
> nobody runs it.

I tend to run sparse over the nvme code before sending pull request
every time. But it's a fairly new codebase, so it it actually
is clean. I wish we'd just default to running sparse at some point
so people have to clean their shit up, as it catches a lot of
useful things. But maybe for the default we want to tune it down
a bit (e.g. don't warn about missing statics by default, skip
the lock imbalance checks which while often useful also generate
tons of false positives).