[Kernel.org Helpdesk #46182] Re: Linux 4.14-rc2 (bad patch file on kernel.org)

From: Konstantin Ryabitsev via RT
Date: Mon Sep 25 2017 - 09:16:43 EST

On 2017-09-24 22:57:37, rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 09/24/17 17:03, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > I'm back to my usual Sunday release schedule, and rc2 is out there in
> > all the normal places.
>
> Downloading & applying 4.14-rc2 [patch]
> <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/rawdiff/?id=v4.14-
> rc2&id2=v4.13>
>
> from kernel.org (home page) gives me a file that does not apply
> cleanly to v4.13:
>
> --------------------------
> |diff --git a/virt/kvm/kvm_main.c b/virt/kvm/kvm_main.c
> |index 4d81f6d..9deb5a2 100644
> | --- a/virt/kvm/kvm_main.c
> | +++ b/virt/kvm/kvm_main.c
> --------------------------
> checking file virt/kvm/kvm_main.c
> Using Plan A...
> patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
> patch: **** unexpected end of file in patch

Ick, looks like the cache truncation bug is still not fixed in the upstream cgit and the EPEL update blew away my locally fixed package (which is my fault, as I should have versionlocked it). The fixed version is now in place and truncated caches are purged. It should generate valid patches now.

> I also notice that the [pgp] signing is not there. Is that normal?

Yes, see https://www.kernel.org/rc-tarballs-and-patches-starting-with-412-rc1.html

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev