Re: [RFC GIT PULL rcu/next] RCU/hotplug fix

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Thu Aug 24 2017 - 10:35:42 EST

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 09:53:20AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> > > Pulled, thanks Paul!
> > >
> > > Ingo
> > >

> > Ingo,
> >
> > We've been keeping an eye on this fix, so I'm trying to ascertain it's status.
> > For my information, is this expected to hit Linus' tree in 4.13, or wait until
> > the 4.14 merge window?
>
> It's for v4.14, it's a pretty large (and thus risky) commit that came in
> relatively late. If it's problem-free it can be sent to -stable.
>
> If Paul insists I can try and send it to Linus, but it's getting fairly late
> in the cycle.

Hugo, I was interpreting your email of August 22nd as meaning that
the problem no longer existed in mainline:

https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=150343524911301&w=2

If my interpretation is correct, then this commit can wait until the
upcoming merge window. As Ingo says, I can send patches to -stable
(and backporting is required, BTW).

If my interpretation is incorrect, please let me know what the situation
really is.

Thanx, Paul