Re: Kernel error messages: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an LED's brightness failed

From: Harvey
Date: Tue Aug 01 2017 - 03:53:25 EST

Hi MichaÅ,

> A photo would be useful (though please do not attach it to your message,

> https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/Fujitsu-LB-E751-Tastatur_1j.jpg

That is exactly my laptop (well, except for those ugly windows badges ;))

To be completely sure I have taken two photos and posted them here:
http://picpaste.com/IMG_20170720_125716-RazF0yQa.jpg
http://picpaste.com/IMG_20170720_125736-zdpEGoHR.jpg
Beware, the photos will only stay online for seven days.

> Are these the 11 LEDs you mentioned?
>
> - top, left: E, HDD, Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock,
> - top, right: I, Power Button,
> - front (not pictured in the first photo above): Power Supply, Battery
> Charging, Battery 1, Battery 2.

Yes, these are the LEDs in question

>> 1783:Jul 14 12:33:48 gruenix kernel: leds fujitsu::radio_led: Setting an
>> LED's brightness failed (-2147483648)
>
> 4.11 included a patch which sets the default trigger for the radio LED
> to rfkill-any, which would explain why you only started seeing these
> errors after upgrading to that version. See also below.
>
>> Some of the LEDs are not working under linux, especially the bluetooth
>> one
>
> Where is the Bluetooth LED located? I cannot see it. Can you show it
> on a photo? How does it behave under other operating systems?

Well, IIRC the one in the I(nformation) key was acting as a bluetooth
LED. I have another Harddisk with a working Win7 Installation which I
will mount and report back later when I have the time.

>> and three others E,
>
> According to a manual I found [1], this is an "Energy saving functions
> indicator", which is lit when "energy function are enabled". My guess
> would be it can be repurposed under Linux.

Correct. Would be nice to reuse it in one way or another under linux

>> I(nformation)
>
> According to the same manual, this LED signals battery level when the
> laptop is off (S5 state) and the "I" key is pressed. Not sure it can be
> repurposed, but how does it behave under other operating systems?

See above. Will report this later when I changed harddisks. Under linux
it does nothing. When suspended the three LEDs (1)Power (beneath the
power button) (2)Power beneath the wireless slider (both blue) and
(3)Battery2 are blinking.

>> and one that shows the sign of a
>> lock with up and down arrows in it.
>
> That is Scroll Lock. I do not think fujitsu-laptop has anything to do
> with it. If it does not work the way you expect it to, you might want
> to search the web, because there are known inconsistencies in how
> various distributions handle it.

Scroll lock works as expected. KDE had taken scroll lock due to a
configuration I had forgotten. <Blush>

>> The case is equipped with a slider
>> for Wireless on/off, if that matters.
>
> It does, see also below.
>
>> Although the message seems to be harmless I am somewhat embarrassed what
>> happens here and thought I might report it to someone with more knowledge ;)
>
> Again, thank you for the report, because implementing a feature like
> this in a platform driver often requires at least some guesswork, which
> may result in that feature working for some users and misbehaving for
> others. This is an example of such a situation.
>
> As you may have inferred from the patchwork link you visited, I was not
> sure whether my method of detecting radio LED presence was correct.
> Your report clearly proves I was wrong. Could you please send me the
> BTNI value reported on your laptop? You should be able to look it up by
> running:
>
> $ dmesg | grep BTNI

682:[ 12.189363] fujitsu_laptop: BTNI: [0x10f0101]

http://pasted.co/ce997722

> Anyway, you were curious what causes these log messages to appear. I
> believe it happens because fujitsu-laptop _thinks_ you have a radio LED
> present on your machine, which causes it to register this LED with a
> default trigger set to rfkill-any. This means the kernel tries to
> enable this LED whenever any radio transmitter is active and disable it
> when all radio transmissions are disabled. In order to set the state of
> the LED, the kernel driver calls a function exposed by the firmware.
> This function returns an error, which is logged. The specific error
> number you are seeing (-2147483648) means "unsupported command", which
> means fujitsu-laptop attempted to use a feature which is unsupported by
> your laptop's firmware. If you want to get rid of these messages,
> running the following after every reboot should be enough:
>
> # echo "none" > /sys/class/leds/fujitsu::radio_led/trigger
>
> However, I would appreciate it if you could help us with finding out the
> correct way to detect the radio LED (it may as well turn out it is not
> possible by just checking firmware contents). For starters, we will
> need your laptop's DSDT table, which you can extract using:
>
> # cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > dsdt.bin
>
> The resulting binary file dsdt.bin is what is needed for further
> analysis.

See attachded file

> [1] http://www.lpmanual.com/manuals/fujitsu/Fujitsu_LIFEBOOK_E751.pdf

Conclusion: Only the LED I(nformation) and E(mpowering) LEDs are not
working at all.

Glad to help further on. Don't hesitate to contact me. As said before I
am in Spain right now but will frequently check my mail though.

Greetings
Harvey

--
I am root. If you see me laughing, you'd better have a backup!