Re: [REGRESSION] 28676d869bbb (scsi: sg: check for valid direction before starting the request) breaks mtx tape library control

From: Jason L Tibbitts III
Date: Fri Jul 21 2017 - 15:23:30 EST

JT> Jason, can you try the above? If it works and Doug doesn't respond,
JT> I'm inclined yo submit this band aid.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to work for me. Maybe I'm building the
wrong thing, though. I checked out 4.12, cherry picked
68c59fcea1f2c6a54c62aa896cc623c1b5bc9b47 and then applied your one liner
on top of that. There appears to be no change in behavior:

[root@backup2 ~]# mtx -f /dev/sg7 next 0
Unloading drive 0 into Storage Element 47...mtx: Request Sense: Long
Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=0 (Unknown?!)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=No Sense
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 00
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
MOVE MEDIUM from Element Address 1 to 1047 Failed

I can also apply the debugging patch and try again if that would give
you more useful information.

- J<