Re: seccomp ptrace selftest failures with 4.4-stable [Was: Re: LTS testing with latest kselftests - some failures]

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Sat Jun 24 2017 - 00:46:03 EST

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 02:34:07AM +0200, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> So taking the position that any kselftest script on linux-next or a future
> kernel should never break stable implicate that *any* fix going upstream for
> which there is a respective ksefltest test *must* have a stable upstream fix.

What, no! If it's a bug, that kselftest points out, great, it's up to
stable or a vendor to backport that fix if they want it.

Again, it's just like any other test suite, look at xfstests, no one
gets mad when it adds new tests that fail on old kernels, due to bugs
there, right?

> Its not obvious to me that everyone is aware of this. What do we do about
> those cases where we *don't* want a stable fix due to the complexity?

That's up to the stable maintainers or the vendors that maintain their
own kernel trees.

thanks,

greg k-h