Next steps and plans for the 2017 Maintainer and Kernel Summits

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Wed Jun 14 2017 - 09:29:26 EST

After talking to Linus about what the next steps should be, here's the
plan that we've come up with. The following people drawn from Linus's core
list will be extended invitations to the Maintainers Summit.

David Miller
Greg KH
Daniel Vetter
Ingo Molnar
Arnd Bergmann
Andrew Morton
Michael Ellerman
Takashi Iwai
Linus Torvalds
Ben Hutchings
Stephen Rothwell
Ted Ts'o
Shuah Kahn
James Bottomley

A mini-program committee composed of James Bottomley, Shuah Kahn, Greg
KH, and myself will pick enough names to bring the total number of
invited attendees to 30 for the Maintainers Summit, using the criteria
which Linus has described.

We will use the rest of names that Linus had mentioned as being part
of his secondary list to preseed the list of people to be considered.
People who suggest topics that should be discussed on the Maintainer's
summit will be added to the list. Please prefix [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT]
to the subject line, and remember that we only have a half-day, and
they should be appropriate for the Maintainer's summit --- that is,
they should be focused on the development process.

For technical topics, we will have a "Kernel Summit" that will be work
much like the Technical Session days last year. The technical
sessions will be run in parallel with the Open Source Summit Europe,
and will be open to anyone who registered with the OSS Europe. The
goal will be to provide a forum to discuss specific technical issues
that would be easier to resolve in person than over e-mail. The
program committee will also consider "information sharing" topics if
they are clearly of interest to the wider development community (i.e.,
advanced training in topics that would be useful for maintainers).

To suggest a topic for the Kernel Summit, please tag your e-mail with
[TECH TOPIC]. As before, please use a separate e-mail for each topic,
and send the topic suggestions to:

ksummit-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We will also be reserving roughly half the slots to be scheduled on
the day of the conference, but if you know are interested in
organizing a discussion around a topic, or giving a presentation on
some topic that would be of interest to kernel developers, please send
them as soon as possible. For each topic that is accepted and
submitted before July 8th, we will give a free admission to OSS Europe
/ Kernel Summit. All others will have to pay the normal registration
fee.

If you were not subscribed on to the kernel-discuss mailing list from
last year (or if you had removed yourself after the kernel summit),
you can subscribe to the discuss list using mailman: