Re: New vger mailing list request - linux-firmware

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jun 08 2017 - 16:19:39 EST

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do users deserve the amount of silly regressions and issues we've seen
> over the years on firmware_class ? Would yet-another mailing list help
> ? I think so.

No.

Boutique mailing lists are generally a _bad_ thing. All it means that
there's an increasingly small "in group" that thinks that they
generate consensus beause nobody disagrees with their small boutique
list, because nobody else even _sees_ that small list.

We should only have mailing lists if they really merit the volume, and
are big enough that there are lots of users.

Linus