Re: [RFC] clang: 'unused-function' warning on static inline functions

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jun 07 2017 - 16:36:32 EST

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The main reason I see for it is that a lot of the unused inline functions
> in C files are mistakes,

Bah. Blah blah blah.

The clang warnign doesn't actually really buy us anything, and it's a
completely pointless difference to gcc.

I'm not in the least interested in supporting these kinds of pointless
differences.

The people who are interested in making the kernel compile well with
clang should care about the things that matter, not annoying people
with idiotic patches.

So stop the idiotic patches. When clang actually adds _value_, that's
one thing. Right now it's just stupid noise.

For some reason compiler people think that "more warnings are good".
No. They are not. More noise without any value is absolutely not good,
and an unused inline function si by definition not something we care
about.

Really. Fit the clang noise. Get clang to generate good code.

Once clang has actually proven itself, and we haev years of clang
under our belt, and clang isn't just a toy and a source of bugs and
pointless warnings as far as kernel builds are concerned, THEN we can
start talking about actually making use of clang features.

Right now it should be about "don't be a f*cking pain in the arse!"

Linus