Re: [GIT PULL] ARM: SoC fixes (and a cross-arch dt-include fix)

From: Linus Walleij
Date: Mon May 22 2017 - 07:44:41 EST

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Olof Johansson <olof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - We've started telling people to avoid cross-tree shared branches if all
> they're doing is picking up one or two DT-used constants from a
> shared include file, and instead to use the numeric values on first
> submission. Follow-up moving over to symbolic names are sent in right
> after -rc1, i.e. here. It's only a few minor patches of this type.

OK it seems like a reasonable process.

It's not like I can think about anything better.

I was more opting for doing things this way:

- Create bindings and <dt-bindings/foo/bar.h> merge it into the
foo subsystem.

- Merge driver into drivers/foo/bar.c that use <dt-bindings/foo/bar.h>

- Submit DTS patch to ARM SoC (or whetever) using only numerical
values.

- After the merge window, follow up with a patch replacing the
numerical constants with #defines from <dt-bindings/foo/bar.h>

An alternative would obviously be to wait for the next merge window
after merging the driver patch but I guess people are too impatient
to do that (including me).

We discussed cross-tree dependencies a bit on ksummit-discuss
but this solution was not mentioned back then.

Yours,
Linus Walleij