Re: linux-next: manual merge of the tip tree with Linus' tree

From: Mark Rutland
Date: Mon May 22 2017 - 04:33:27 EST

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 01:27:11PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> Today's linux-next merge of the tip tree got a conflict in:
>
> arch/arm64/include/asm/cpufeature.h
>
> between commit:
>
> 63a1e1c95e60 ("arm64/cpufeature: don't use mutex in bringup path")
>
> from Linus' tree and commit:
>
> d54bb72551b9 ("arm64/cpufeature: Use static_branch_enable_cpuslocked()")
>
> from the tip tree.

Just to check, is your copy of tip up-to-date?

That latter commit was in the tip smp/hotplug branch, but that branch
was reset to v4.12-rc1 a few days ago (before the first commit was sent
to Linus), specifically to avoid this conflict.

... did we miss another branch that was merged into, perhaps?

> I have no idea what the correct resolution is here, so I have just gone
> with the former for now (i.e. removed the
> static_branch_enable_cpuslocked() call). This will probably need a
> better (or even correct :-)) fix.

The good news is that the commit in Linus' tree is the correct fix. :)

The other commit was a slightly broken prior attempt, and shouldn't be
in the tip tree any more.

> I fixed it up (see above) and can carry the fix as necessary. This
> is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial
> conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer when your tree
> is submitted for merging. You may also want to consider cooperating
> with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any particularly
> complex conflicts.

We tried, but evidently something went wrong. :/

Thanks,
Mark.