Re: [lkp-robot] [waitid()] 75f64d68f9: Kernel_panic-not_syncing:Attempted_to_kill_init!exitcode=

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun May 21 2017 - 17:37:24 EST

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Umm... get_user() for anything larger than long is simply not supported on
> a lot of architectures[1]. Do we really want to do that for unsafe_get_user()?

I'm pretty sure there's a reason we added support for it on x86-32,
because there are structures that use __u64 and fill things one entry
at a time.

It's entirely possible that that code then fails (maybe it compiles,
but doesn't work) on various other architectures. There's a lot of
drivers that are disabled on non-x86.

Linus