Re: Review request: draft userfaultfd(2) manual page

From: Mike Rapoport
Date: Tue Mar 21 2017 - 10:01:42 EST

Hello Michael,

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 09:08:05PM +0100, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> Hello Andrea, Mike, and all,
>
> Mike: thanks for the page that you sent. I've reworked it
> a bit, and also added a lot of further information,
> and an example program. In the process, I split the page
> into two pieces, with one piece describing the userfaultfd()
> system call and the other describing the ioctl() operations.
>
> I'd like to get review input, especially from you and
> Andrea, but also anyone else, for the current version
> of this page, which includes a few FIXMEs to be sorted.

Thanks for the update. I'm adressing the FIXME points you've mentioned
below.
Otherwise, everything seems the right description of the current upstream.
4.11 will have quite a few updates to userfault and we'll need to udpate
this page and ioctl_userfaultfd(2) to address those updates. I am planning
to work on the man update in the next few weeks.

--
Sincerely yours,
Mike.

> USERFAULTFD(2) Linux Programmer's Manual USERFAULTFD(2)
>
> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
> âFIXME â
> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
> âNeed to describe close(2) semantics for userfaulfd â
> âfile descriptor: what happens when the userfaultfd â
> âFD is closed? â
> â â
> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

When userfaultfd is closed, it unregisters all memory ranges that were
previously registered with it and flushes the outstanding page fault
events.

> [...]
> object. The new userfaultfd object is configured using
> ioctl(2).
>
> Once the userfaultfd object is configured, the application can
> use read(2) to receive userfaultfd notifications. The reads
> from userfaultfd may be blocking or non-blocking, depending on
> the value of flags used for the creation of the userfaultfd or
> subsequent calls to fcntl(2).
>
> The following values may be bitwise ORed in flags to change the
> behavior of userfaultfd():
>
> O_CLOEXEC
> Enable the close-on-exec flag for the new userfaultfd
> file descriptor. See the description of the O_CLOEXEC
> flag in open(2).
>
> O_NONBLOCK
> Enables non-blocking operation for the userfaultfd
> object. See the description of the O_NONBLOCK flag in
> open(2).
>
> Usage
> The userfaultfd mechanism is designed to allow a thread in a
> multithreaded program to perform user-space paging for the
> other threads in the process. When a page fault occurs for one
> of the regions registered to the userfaultfd object, the faultâ
> ing thread is put to sleep and an event is generated that can
> be read via the userfaultfd file descriptor. The fault-hanâ
> dling thread reads events from this file descriptor and serâ
> vices them using the operations described in ioctl_userâ
> faultfd(2). When servicing the page fault events, the fault-
> handling thread can trigger a wake-up for the sleeping thread.
>
> Userfaultfd operation
> After the userfaultfd object is created with userfaultfd(), the
> application must enable it using the UFFDIO_API ioctl(2) operaâ
> tion. This operation allows a handshake between the kernel and
> user space to determine the API version and supported features.
> This operation must be performed before any of the other
> ioctl(2) operations described below (or those operations fail
> with the EINVAL error).
>
> After a successful UFFDIO_API operation, the application then
> registers memory address ranges using the UFFDIO_REGISTER
> ioctl(2) operation. After successful completion of a UFFâ
> DIO_REGISTER operation, a page fault occurring in the requested
> memory range, and satisfying the mode defined at the registraâ
> tion time, will be forwarded by the kernel to the user-space
> application. The application can then use the UFFDIO_COPY or
> UFFDIO_ZERO ioctl(2) operations to resolve the page fault.
>
> Details of the various ioctl(2) operations can be found in
> ioctl_userfaultfd(2).
>
> Currently, userfaultfd can be used only with anonymous private
> memory mappings.
>
> Reading from the userfaultfd structure
> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
> âFIXME â
> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
> âare the details below correct? â
> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

Yes, at least for the current upstream version. 4.11 will have quite a few
updates to userfaultfd.

> Each read(2) from the userfaultfd file descriptor returns one
> or more uffd_msg structures, each of which describes a page-
> fault event:
>
> struct uffd_msg {
> __u8 event; /* Type of event */
> union {
> struct {
> __u64 flags; /* Flags describing fault */
> __u64 address; /* Faulting address */
> } pagefault;
> } arg;
>
> /* Padding fields omitted */
> } __packed;
>
> If multiple events are available and the supplied buffer is
> large enough, read(2) returns as many events as will fit in the
> supplied buffer. If the buffer supplied to read(2) is smaller
> than the size of the uffd_msg structure, the read(2) fails with
> the error EINVAL.
>
> The fields set in the uffd_msg structure are as follows:
>
> event The type of event. Currently, only one value can appear
> in this field: UFFD_EVENT_PAGEFAULT, which indicates a
> page-fault event.
>
> address
> The address that triggered the page fault.
>
> flags A bit mask of flags that describe the event. For
> UFFD_EVENT_PAGEFAULT, the following flag may appear:
>
> UFFD_PAGEFAULT_FLAG_WRITE
> If the address is in a range that was registered
> with the UFFDIO_REGISTER_MODE_MISSING flag (see
> ioctl_userfaultfd(2)) and this flag is set, this
> a write fault; otherwise it is a read fault.
>
> A read(2) on a userfaultfd file descriptor can fail with the
> following errors:
>
> EINVAL The userfaultfd object has not yet been enabled using
> the UFFDIO_API ioctl(2) operation
>
> The userfaultfd file descriptor can be monitored with poll(2),
> select(2), and epoll(7). When events are available, the file
> descriptor indicates as readable.
>

> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
> âFIXME â
> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
> âBut, it seems, the object must be created with â
> âO_NONBLOCK. What is the rationale for this requireâ â
> âment? Something needs to be said in this manual â
> âpage. â
> âââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

The object can be created without O_NONBLOCK, so probably the above
sentence can be rephrased as:

When the userfaultfd file descriptor is opened in non-blocking mode, it can
be monitored with ...