Re: [RFC 2/2] fanotify: emit FAN_MODIFY_DIR on filesystem changes

From: Filip ÅtÄdronskÃ
Date: Sun Mar 19 2017 - 06:46:51 EST

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:19:43AM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> However if you can really call fsnotify hooks with 'path' available in all
> the places, it should be equally hard to just pass 'path' to
> vfs_(create|mkdir|...) and that way we don't have to sprinkle fsnotify
> calls into several call sites but keep them local to vfs_(create|mkdir|...)
> helpers. Hmm?

the problem is: not absolutely all. One illuminating example is the use
of vfs_mknod in devtmpfs. There a struct path is not only unavailable
but makes not semantic sense: the changes do not go thru any mountpoint.
And in general I think there will be situations where you would need
to call VFS functions without paths.

Thus I suggested either
(a) wrapping the VFS functions with path variants, or
(b) giving them an optional vfsmount argument that can be set to NULL
when it does not make sense

Filip