Re: [x86] 45fc8757d1: BUG:unable_to_handle_kernel

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Mar 17 2017 - 14:00:51 EST

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The linear address can be used to look up which entry it is. I assume
> the GDT starts at ffffffffff577000, and that this is at offset 0x60
> from that. Whatever descriptor that would be..

Hmm. That should be gdt index 12, aka GDT_ENTRY_TLS_MIN.

I guess user space can set almost anything there. Including setting a
segment type that isn't accessed, and that the CPU will change on the
first actual access.

We do have code to verify the limits and types etc iirc, I guess we
can make sure to set the accessed bit too.

Linus