Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] do we really need PG_error at all?

From: Boaz Harrosh
Date: Tue Feb 28 2017 - 05:13:13 EST

On 02/28/2017 03:11 AM, Jeff Layton wrote:
<>

> I'll probably have questions about the read side as well, but for now it
> looks like it's mostly used in an ad-hoc way to communicate errors
> across subsystems (block to fs layer, for instance).

If memory does not fail me it used to be checked long time ago in the
read-ahead case. On the buffered read case, the first page is read synchronous
and any error is returned to the caller, but then a read-ahead chunk is
read async all the while the original thread returned to the application.
So any errors are only recorded on the page-bit, since otherwise the uptodate
is off and the IO will be retransmitted. Then the move to read_iter changed
all that I think.
But again this is like 5-6 years ago, and maybe I didn't even understand
very well.

> --
> Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>

I would like a Documentation of all this as well please. Where are the
tests for this?

Thanks
Boaz