Re: [RFC 7/8] fpga-region: add sysfs interface

From: matthew . gerlach
Date: Tue Feb 28 2017 - 01:28:38 EST

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017, Moritz Fischer wrote:

Alan,

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Alan Tull <delicious.quinoa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

First case: embedded FPGA. The hardware has one FPGA. The image is
designed for a specific board, so there's no problem including the
enumeration in the image.

Agreed.

Second case: embedded FPGA + a PCIe FPGA. The image will be specific
as to whether it goes into the embedded FPGA or the PCIe one.

Agreed.

Third case: multiple PCIe FPGAs. The enumeration base will be the
PCIe bus of the individual FPGA. If the FPGAs don't have unique pin
connections, then the images could go on any of the PCie FPGAs. If
there are unique pin connections, then the image will be specific to
the FPGA and having the enumeration data in the image is that much
more helpful for keeping things straight. Part of the header could
specify which specific FPGA it should go on if it is restricted.

Agreed.

Of course if the FPGAs have > 1 PR regions, most FPGA architectures do
not have relocatable images so those images will be specific for the
PR region but not specific to the FPGA except as otherwise noted
above.

So again, including enumeration data in the bitstream should work
unless I'm missing something. What am I missing here?

If you enumeration base is sufficiently smart, I suppose that can work.
What you'd probably want is some sort of extension to the platform bus?

I think there is merit it considering the platform bus as part of the overal enumeration strategy. When using device trees, the platform bus is involved. I have also seen other folks enumerate over a platform bus based on data in a format other than device tree. I have experimented with instantiating platform devices from my pcie driver, but I didn't completely work, which could be related to using a fairly old 3.10 kernel.

Matthew Gerlach

I really need to take another look at how non-dt systems enumerate to
give better feedback on this.

Cheers,

Moritz