Re: [patch 0/3] KVM CPU frequency change hypercalls

From: Marcelo Tosatti
Date: Fri Feb 24 2017 - 08:07:28 EST

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 01:17:07PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> >> The userspace program sets a policy for the whole system.
> > No, its per cpu.
>
> Yeah, what I mean is that userspace program can be per-CPU, but it looks
> at all the processes running on that CPU ("the whole system"). This is
> very different from a guest, which is isolated.

> >> Stop a guest that is using cpufreq, start a guest that is not using it.
> >> The second guest's performance now depends on the state that the first
> >> guest left in cpufreq.
> >
> > Nothing forbids the host to implement switching with the
> > current hypercall interface: all you need is a scheduler
> > hook.
>
> Can it be done in vcpu_load/vcpu_put? But you still would have two
> components (KVM and sysfs) potentially fighting over the frequency, and
> that's still a bit ugly.
>
> Paolo

Change the frequency at vcpu_load/vcpu_put? Yes: call into
cpufreq-userspace. But there is no notion of "per-task frequency" on the
Linux kernel (which was the starting point of this subthread).

But if you configure all CPUs in the system as cpufreq-userspace,
then some other (userspace program) has to decide the frequency
for the other CPUs.

Which agent would do that and why? Thats why i initially said "whats the
usecase".