Re: [patch 1/2] x86/platform/goldfish: Prevent unconditional loading

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Wed Feb 15 2017 - 09:53:30 EST

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Alan Cox wrote:

> It was discussed at the time, documented at the time.

I just have a hard time to find that documentation. It's definitely not in
the kernel source, unless you qualify the help text of CONFIG_GOLDFISH as
such:

Enable support for the Goldfish virtual platform used primarily
for Android development. Unless you are building for the Android
Goldfish emulator say N here.

which does not help for randconfig and other builds and does not prevent
users from enabling it accidentaly. That all wouldn't be as bad if at least
the minimal provisioning of damage prevention would have been done.

> Unfortunately the people who did the emulator didn't feel the urge to
> provide a way to detect the platform was Goldfish.

Sure, and the people shoving it into the kernel didn't feel the urge to
enforce that.

> Historically it also used its own custom device discovery scheme. Given
> the limited use of older versions of Goldfish it might well make sense
> to remove support for the older emulator versions.

I'm all for it.

Thanks,

tglx