Re: [tip:locking/core] refcount_t: Introduce a special purpose refcount type

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Feb 13 2017 - 13:00:43 EST

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 09:48:42AM -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Linus asked to please make this real C code.
>
> No objection from me, but I'm curious to see the conversation. Where
> did this discussion happen? (I'm curious to see the reasoning behind
> the decisions about the various trade-offs.)

I think Linus' email ended up being private; not much discussion other
than him saying he would like to see this.

Given the current state of code generation I wasn't in a state to argue
much. We can always revisit later.

> > And since size then isn't an issue what so ever anymore, remove the
> > debug knob and make all WARN()s unconditional.
>
> Are you still going to land the x86 WARN_ON improvements?

Yes, once I manage to eke some response out of the relevant arch
maintainers on the subject ;-)