Re: tip: demise of tsk_cpus_allowed() and tsk_nr_cpus_allowed()

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Feb 09 2017 - 01:58:36 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Indeed.

> > > You mean:
> > >
> > > struct task_struct {
> > > cpumask_t cpus_allowed;
> > > cpumask_t *effective_cpus_allowed;
> > > };
>
> Yeah. I'd name it a bit differently and constify the pointer to get type
> safety and to make sure the mask is never modified through the pointer:
>
> struct task_struct {
> const cpumask_t *cpus_ptr;
> cpumask_t cpus_mask;
> };
>
> ( I'd drop the 'allowed' part, it's obvious enough what task->cpus_mask does,
> right? )
>
> and upstream would essentially just do:
>
> t->cpus_allowed_ptr = &t->cpus_allowed;
>
> And -rt, when it wants to pin a task, would do:
>
> t->cpus_allowed_ptr = &cpumask_of(task_cpu(p));
>
> The rules are:
>
> - Code that 'uses' ->cpus_allowed would use the pointer.
>
> - Code that 'modifies' ->cpus_allowed would use the direct mask.
>
> The upstream advantages are:
>
> - The type separation of modifications from usage.
>
> - Removal of wrappery.
>
> - Maybe sometime in the future upstream would want to disable migration too ...
>
> In fact -rt gains something too:
>
> - With this scheme we would AFAICS get slightly more optimal code on -rt.
> (Because there's no __migration_disabled() branching anymore.)
>
> - Plus all new code is automatically -rt ready - no need to maintain the wrappery
> space. Much less code path forking.
>
> So as I see it it's win-win for both upstream and for -rt!
>
> > > and make the scheduler use effective_cpus_allowed instead of cpus_allowed? Or
> > > what do you have in mind?
> >
> > That scheme is weird for nr_cpus_allowed. Not to mention that the
> > pointer to the integer is larger than the integer itself.
>
> So in the new scheme I don't think nr_cpus_allowed would have to be wrapped
> at all: whenever the pointer (or mask) is changed in set_cpus_allowed_common()
> nr_cpus_allowed is recalculated as well - like today.
>
> It should be self-maintaining. Am I missing something?

And -rt would do something like this in migration_disable()/enable():

t->cpus_ptr = &cpumask_of(task_cpu(p));
t->nr_cpus = 1;

t->cpus_ptr = &t->cpus_mask;
t->nr_cpus = cpumask_weight(t->cpus_mask);

In addition to that we could cache the weight of the cpumask as an additional
optimization:

t->cpus_ptr = &t->cpus_mask;
t->nr_cpus = t->cpus_mask_weight;

It all looks like a pretty natural construct to me. The migration_disabled() flag
spreads almost a hundred branches all across the scheduler.

Thanks,

Ingo