Re: BQ27xxx registers

From: Chris Lapa
Date: Tue Dec 20 2016 - 21:49:38 EST

On 20/12/16 10:34 pm, Pali RohÃr wrote:
On Tuesday 20 December 2016 07:00:41 Chris Lapa wrote:
I can generate a patch to fix this issue, however the bigger problem
exists as to which revision fuel gauge the bq27xxx_battery.c driver
is intended to support for each family.

Hi! I think driver should support all revisions. There can be (and
probably really is) hardware which uses old revision and such hardware
should be still supported...

I agree. However due to the register address changes across the spectrum of revisions, each revision will have to be specified individually. For example, we will need to implement a BQ27510G1, BQ27510G2, BQ27510G3, BQ27520G1, BQ27520G2, BQ27520G3, BQ27520G4 definitions and prospective device tree additions ti,bq27510g1, ti,bq27510g2 etc.

The other option is to aim for bottom of the barrel support for all the devices under the BQ27500 definition but my feeling is it would get messier fast and be less maintainable.

My preference is to go with the first option if you agree?

Thanks,
Chris