Re: [RFC 1/3] abi_spec: basic definitions of constraints, args and syscalls

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Wed Dec 14 2016 - 14:49:30 EST

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I agree with your two points above.
>>>
>>> As an example, let's look at:
>>>
>>> int epoll_ctl(int epfd, int op, int fd, struct epoll_event *event);
>>>
>>> epfd would be a physical int, logical "epoll_fd", and constrainted with being
>>> an open descriptor.
>>>
>>> fd on the other hand is tricky: it's a physical int, logical fd, and
>>> constrainted with being a file descriptor that supports poll, and being
>>> open.
>>>
>>> So while I think that logical types can be just a counter rather than a bitmask
>>> I suspect that our constraints won't fit into 64 bits. Make 2 64 bit fields?
>>
>> One observation is that there are just 5 physical types:
>> - scalar
>> - pointer
>> - array
>> - struct
>> - union
>>
>> The rest deals with what exactly "scalar" is in a particular case.
>>
>> I don't yet have complete answer, as it somewhat intermixed with the
>> rest of questions.

>>> I imagine that this will be handled by specific logical type handlers we'll
>>> need to implement. Can you give me an example and I'll try to code that?
>>
>> One example is te_oper_param here:
>> https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/tegra/+/android-tegra-3.10/security/tlk_driver/ote_protocol.h
>> next_ptr_user is a pointer to te_oper_param. Thus recursive definition.
>>
>> Another example is snd_seq_ev_quote:
>> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/include/uapi/sound/asequencer.h#L194
>> it contains struct snd_seq_event *event and snd_seq_event recursively
>> contains snd_seq_ev_quote.
>>
>> In all cases it is pointer recursion via structs.
>>
>> Sometimes it wish that developers have to write formal descriptions in
>> a limited language upfront. That would probably eliminate lots of
>> weird one-off "see what I invented here" cases :)

>>> Assuming it's "data", for intput we'll just need to check that the given
>>> length is readable and for output that the length is writable, no?
>>
>> It also can be an fd in a struct field. If it's output (e.g. pipe),
>> then we must not check that it's valid on entry. But we may want to
>> check that it's valid on successful exit, or fuzzer will use these
>> output fd's as inputs to other calls.
>>

>>> We can do it with constraints right now.

>>> Yup, so if we go with the physical/logical split we can have handlers for
>>> logical types.

>>> But that means I need a custom handler for every syscall to parse the
>>> struct fields rather than a generic code that goes through the args and calls
>>> the right handler?
>>
>> No, you don't. We will need generic code that parses a piece of memory
>> as a struct and splits it into fields anyway.
>> We can just reuse this code to handle syscall arguments as follows.
>> Describe syscall arguments as a pseudo struct (array of fields). Then
> [...]

Here is my current prototype:
https://github.com/dvyukov/linux/commit/6200a9333e78bef393f8ead41205813b94d340f3

For now it can trace arguments of 4 system calls:

[ 4.055483] [pid 1258] open(&00007ffdefc023a0=[], 0x0, 0x1b6)
[ 4.055991] [pid 1258] open(&00007ffdefc023a0=[], 0x0, 0x1b6) = 3
[ 4.056486] [pid 1258] read(0x3, &00007ffdefc01320=[], 0x1000)
[ 4.056977] [pid 1258] read(0x3, &00007ffdefc01320=[], 0x1000) = 1780
[ 4.057485] [pid 1258] read(0x3, &00007f316a732000=[], 0x1000)
[ 4.057991] [pid 1258] read(0x3, &00007f316a732000=[], 0x1000) = 0
[ 4.058488] [pid 1258] close(0x0) = 0
[ 4.058848] [pid 1258] write(0x1, &00007f316a732000=[], 0x5)
[ 4.059304] [pid 1258] write(0x1, &00007f316a732000=[], 0x5) = 5
[ 4.059905] [pid 1234] close(0x0) = 0
[ 4.060239] [pid 1234] close(0x0) = 0

Main outstanding problems:
- understanding length of arrays and buffers
- understanding discriminators of unions and syscall variations