Re: usb/core: warning in usb_create_ep_devs/sysfs_create_dir_ns

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Tue Dec 13 2016 - 10:07:44 EST

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 11:04 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2016, Alan Stern wrote:

>> > We need a clear distinction between what is a bug in kernel source
>> > code and what is incorrect user-space code. Otherwise no automated
>> > testing is possible. WARNING means bug in kernel source code.
>>
>> I don't necessarily agree with that. Is it documented anywhere?
>>
>> > If it is
>> > not a bug in kernel source code, then it must not produce a WARNING.
>
> What about a memory allocation failure? The memory management part of
> the kernel produces a WARNING message if an allocation fails and the
> caller did not specify __GFP_NOWARN.
>
> There is no way for a driver to guarantee that a memory allocation
> request will succeed -- failure is always an option. But obviously
> memory allocation failures are not bugs in the kernel.
>
> Are you saying that mm/page_alloc.c:warn_alloc() should produce
> something other than a WARNING?

The main thing I am saying is that we absolutely need a way for a
human or a computer program to be able to determine if there is
anything wrong with kernel or not.

Page_alloc produces a WARNING iff you ask for an amount of memory that
can't possibly be allocated under any circumstances (order >=
MAX_ORDER). That's not just an allocation failure. Kernel itself
should not generally ask for such large amounts of memory. If the
allocation size is dictated by user, then kernel code should either
use __GFP_NOWARN, or impose own stricter limit dictated by context
(e.g. if it's a text command of known format, then limit can be as
small as say 128 bytes).

Re fake hardware. panic_on_warn will definitely cause problems. I
don't know if it used in any paranoid production systems or not,
though. But more generally, I don't see how it is different from
incorrect syscall arguments or nonsensical network packets received
from free internet. In ideal productions environments none of these
incorrect inputs to kernel should happen. I don't see any single
reason to not protect kernel from incorrect input in this case as
well, as we do in all other cases. In particular, it would resolve a
very real and practical issue for us -- fuzzer will not reboot machine
every minute, and we will not spend time looking at these WARNINGs,
and we will not spend your time by reporting these WARNINGs.