Re: [V2] mtd: devices: docg3:- Handle return value of devm_ioremap.

From: arvind Yadav
Date: Mon Dec 12 2016 - 13:16:11 EST

Hi Boris,

Yes, It's possible that two driver can use same iomem region.
For example you can check
commit id - : 33cf75656923ff11d67a937a4f8e9344f58cea77

Here, It's not required.

Thanks
-Arvind

On Monday 12 December 2016 10:34 PM, Boris Brezillon wrote:
Hi Arvind,

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 21:33:05 +0530
arvind Yadav <arvind.yadav.cs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There is problem, if you will use devm_ioremap_resource instead of
devm_ioremap,
than devm_ioremap_resource will call request_mem_region().
request_mem_region() allows to tell the kernel that this driver is going
to use
this range of I/O addresses, which will prevent other drivers to make an
overlapping call to request_mem_region If other driver want to use same
address
space to access then it will not allow. Means we can not share same
address space
between two driver.
The question is, is it required here? In general, allowing 2 different
drivers from touching the same iomem region is a bad idea, so, if
there's a reason to allow that here, I'd like to know more about it.

Thanks,

Boris