Re: Could we have request_firmware_nowait with FW_OPT_NO_WARN?

From: Kalle Valo
Date: Mon Dec 12 2016 - 06:49:09 EST

RafaÅ MiÅecki <zajec5@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 12 December 2016 at 09:12, Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2016-12-10 at 16:54 +0100, RafaÅ MiÅecki wrote:
>>> In brcmfmac we use request_firmware_nowait and if fetching firmware
>>> with NVRAM variables fails then we try to fallback to the platform
>>> one (see brcmf_fw_request_code_done & brcmf_fw_request_nvram_done).
>>>
>>> Some problem for us is that on devices with platform NVRAM we get
>>> this error:
>>> Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43602-pcie.txt failed with error -2
>>
>> This also happens with iwlwifi, because it requests multiple firmware
>> versions starting at the most recent supported one (which is often not
>> released at the same time).
>
> Good to know it may help others as well!

We have the same problem also on ath10k :) And it's confusing users a
lot, especially as we also load calibration file and other files. So
yes, something like this is very much needed.

But in ath10k we use request_firmware() instead
request_firmware_nowait(). So I would appreciate if you could add the
support to both variants.

--
Kalle Valo