Re: [RFC 10/10] kmod: add a sanity check on module loading

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Dec 09 2016 - 15:56:27 EST

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 12:03 PM, Martin Wilck <mwilck@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-12-08 at 11:49 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> Although this does get us in the business of keeping alias maps in
>> kernel, the the work to support and maintain this is trivial.
>
> You've implemented a special treatment for request_module("fs-$X")in
> finished_kmod_load(), but there are many more aliases defined (and
> used) in the kernel. Do you plan to implement special code for "char-
> major-$X", "crypto-$X", "binfmt-$X" etc. later?

Yeah, no, that is just complete garbage.

Those module aliases already exist in the module info section. We just
don't parse the alias tags in the kernel.

So the real fix is to make find_module_all() just do that.

Doing random ad-hoc "let's prefix with 'fs-xyz'" games are completely
unacceptable. That's just pure shit. Stop this idiocy.

Linus