Re: [git pull] vfs fix

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Nov 26 2016 - 21:53:53 EST

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 6:25 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Two issues here. One is that iov_iter_get_pages{,_alloc}() calling
> conventions are fucking ugly.

No arguments there. I was going to suggest adding an "int *npages"
argument and letting that function fill that in together with the page
array, but it's not like that is going to really make the interface
any prettier.

> Anyway, leaving that BUG_ON() had been wrong; I can send a followup
> massaging that thing as you've suggested, if you are interested in
> that. But keep in mind that the whole iov_iter_get_pages...() calling
> conventions are going to be changed, hopefully soon.

If it indeed happens soon, I can certainly live with the existing code
as a temporary "ugly but it works". But if it ends up being post-4.10
I'd prefer to clean this up independently first, ok?

Linus