Re: [net-next 1/2] net: ethernet: slicoss: add slicoss gigabit ethernet driver

From: Florian Fainelli
Date: Tue Nov 15 2016 - 17:39:29 EST

On 11/15/2016 02:34 PM, Lino Sanfilippo wrote:
> On 15.11.2016 22:59, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> The link state is retrieved by a command to the application processor that is running
>>> on the network card. Also the register to set the phy configuration is write-only, so
>>> it is not even possible to do the usual mdio bit-banging in the Phy read() and write()
>>> functions (however there seems to be another application processor command reserved
>>> for retrieving the PHY settings, but I have not tried it yet).

>> This actually looks a lot like an MDIO write operation. The upper 16
>> bits are the register, and the lower 16 bits are the data. What you
>> don't have is the address. But maybe it is limited to one address.
>>
>> If the processor command reserved for read works in a similar way, you
>> have enough to do an MDIO bus.
>>

> Ok, I will give it a try. Reading values via the application processor
> is a bit awkward though, since it requires an address to a dma area as part of
> the command and then the AP informs the driver via irq that the dma memory has
> been written. So probably the irq handler will have to set some flag and
> the mdio_read() function will have to poll for that flag in place of doing
> bit-banging a register.

That's a bit unusual compared to typical controllers that are usually
memory-mapped and that you can either write to, read/poll to know about
completion. I suppose that you could still have a mdiobus implementation
that is able to read to/from PHYs by submitting a command to the AP,
wait on a completion structure, and have the interrupt handler do the
completion of the command?
--
Florian