Re: Including images on Sphinx documents

From: Jonathan Corbet
Date: Sun Nov 13 2016 - 14:53:02 EST

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 07:55:24 -0200
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, we have a few alternatives:
>
> 1) copy (or symlink) all rst files to Documentation/output (or to the
> build dir specified via O= directive) and generate the *.pdf there,
> and produce those converted images via Makefile.;
>
> 2) add an Sphinx extension that would internally call ImageMagick and/or
> inkscape to convert the bitmap;
>
> 3) if possible, add an extension to trick Sphinx for it to consider the
> output dir as a source dir too.

So, obviously, I've been letting this go by while dealing with other
stuff...

I really think that 2) is the one we want. Copying all the stuff and
operating on the copies, beyond being a bit of a hack, just seems like a
recipe for weird build problems in the future.

We should figure out why PNG files don't work. Maybe I'll give that a
try at some point soon, if I can find a moment. Working around tools
bugs seems like the wrong approach.

Working from .svg seems optimial, but I don't like the --shell-escape
thing at all.

[Along those lines, we've picked up a lot of lines like this:

restricted \write18 enabled.

That, too, is shell execution stuff. I've not been able to figure out
where it came from, but I would sure like to get rid of it...]

jon