Re: [v4.9-rc4] dvb-usb/cinergyT2 NULL pointer dereference

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Nov 09 2016 - 14:07:55 EST

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 3:09 AM, JÃrg Otte <jrg.otte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tried patch with no success. Again a NULL ptr dereferece.

That patch was pure garbage, I think. Pretty much all the other
drivers that use the same approach will have the same issue. Adding
that init function just for the semaphore is crazy.

I suspect a much simpler approach is to just miove the "data_mutex"
away from the priv area and into "struct dvb_usb_device" and
"dvb_usb_adapter". Sure, that grows those structures a tiny bit, and
not every driver may need that mutex, but it simplifies things
enormously. Mauro?

Linus