Re: [RFC v2 1/8] sched/tune: add detailed documentation

From: Viresh Kumar
Date: Fri Nov 04 2016 - 05:47:07 EST

On 27-10-16, 18:41, Patrick Bellasi wrote:
> +This last requirement is especially important if we consider that schedutil can
> +potentially replace all currently available CPUFreq policies. Since schedutil
> +is event based, as opposed to the sampling driven governors, it is already more
> +responsive at selecting the optimal OPP to run tasks allocated to a CPU.

I am not sure if I follow this paragraph. All the governors follow the same
basic rules now. They are all event driven (events from scheduler), but they
function only after a certain sampling period is finished. Isn't this the case ?

> +SchedTune exposes a simple user-space interface with a single power-performance
> +tunable:
> +
> + /proc/sys/kernel/sched_cfs_boost
> +
> +This permits expressing a boost value as an integer in the range [0..100].
> +
> +A value of 0 (default) for a CFS task means that schedutil will attempt
> +to match compute capacity of the CPU where the task is scheduled to
> +match its current utilization with a few spare cycles left. A value of
> +100 means that schedutil will select the highest available OPP.
> +
> +The range between 0 and 100 can be set to satisfy other scenarios suitably.
> +For example to satisfy interactive response or depending on other system events
> +(battery level, thermal status, etc).

Earlier section said that schedutil+schedtune can replace all earlier governors.
How will schedutil behave like powersave governor with schedtune? I was
expecting the possible values of sched_cfs_boost to be in the range -100 to 100,
where -100 will make it powersave, +100 will make it performance and 0 will not
make any changes.

--
viresh