Re: Difficulties around "fixdep" for the usage of a kernel build output directory

From: Jim Davis
Date: Tue Oct 18 2016 - 16:45:04 EST

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 10:25 AM, SF Markus Elfring
<elfring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can it be that the passing of the adjusted parameter "HOSTCFLAGS" has got a significant
> influence (with unwanted side effects) in this use case?

That's probably it. If I strip down your advanced original example to just

make defconfig
make HOSTCFLAGS=-S

then I get a similar error:

HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
scripts/basic/fixdep: 1: scripts/basic/fixdep: .file: not found
scripts/basic/fixdep: 2: scripts/basic/fixdep: .comm: not found
scripts/basic/fixdep: 3: scripts/basic/fixdep: .comm: not found
scripts/basic/fixdep: 4: scripts/basic/fixdep: .comm: not found
scripts/basic/fixdep: 5: scripts/basic/fixdep: .comm: not found
scripts/basic/fixdep: 6: scripts/basic/fixdep: .section: not found

and so forth. The problem is that, with -S, fixdep isn't build as an
executable:

jim@krebstar:~/linux-next/scripts/basic$ file fixdep
fixdep: assembler source, ASCII text
jim@krebstar:~/linux-next/scripts/basic$ more fixdep
.file "fixdep.c"
.comm insert_extra_deps,4,4
.comm target,8,8
.comm depfile,8,8
.comm cmdline,8,8
.section .rodata

I'm guessing that in your original example you wanted to look at the
assembly output gcc produced; you'd probably have better luck using
objdump for that.

--
Jim