Re: thousands of kworker processes with 4.7.x and 4.8-rc*

From: Tomasz Chmielewski
Date: Fri Sep 23 2016 - 12:15:50 EST

On 2016-09-23 23:10, Mike Galbraith wrote:

I did some experiments to see when the problem first appeared. Thousands
of kworker processes start to show up in 4.7.0-rc5.

kernel version | kworker count after boot
4.6.3 > > 37
4.6.4 > > 47
4.6.5 > > 46
4.6.6 > > 49
4.6.7 > > 49
4.7.0-rc1 > > 46
4.7.0-rc2 > > 49
4.7.0-rc3> > 45
4.7.0-rc4> > 47
4.7.0-rc5> > 1592

Best bet would be to use 'git bisect' to locate the exact commit that
caused this, and post the bisection result along with your config.

AFAIK, nobody else is seeing this, is the kernel virgin source?

Yes, it's a kernel.org kernel.

I found some similar reports, though without much more info:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/5036 - kernel 4.7.2, initially attributed to ZFS on Linux, but then reproduced without ZFS

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/4069 - kernel 4.7.2

I'll try to bisect.

Tomasz Chmielewski