Re: [RFC 0/3] Put vdso in ramfs-like filesystem (vdsofs)

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Sep 20 2016 - 20:22:56 EST

The more I'm thinking about this, why don't we simply have these (the
various possible vdsos as well as vvar) as actual files in sysfs instead
of introducing a new filesystem? I don't believe sysfs actually has to
be mounted in order for sysfs files to have an inode.

It could also be in procfs, I guess, but sysfs probably makes more sense.

I'm thinking something like:

/sys/kernel/vdso/{i386,x86_64,x32,vvar}

Not only would this let the container people and so on do weird things
much easier, but it ought to eliminate a whole slew of special cases.

-hpa