Re: bcache vs bcachefs

From: Austin S. Hemmelgarn
Date: Wed Sep 07 2016 - 10:34:39 EST

On 2016-09-06 20:55, Kent Overstreet wrote:
On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 11:46:28AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
Hi folks,

I am pretty hesitant replacing the rock-solid ext4 by bcachefs on my servers.
Meaning no offense, but surely I would prefer to have ext4 with a thin "SSD
caching layer" over a completely different filesystem, potentially with alot
of teething troubles.

Question: Is bcache EOL or can I rely on it for the next 5 to 10 years?

bcache is not EOL - it's still receiving bugfixes.

That said though, there's no reason to expect a long teething period with
bcachefs, it's already more reliable than btrfs in single device mode.

I'd be curious to see any actual data you have to back that up, especially regarding what kernel and userspace were involved with the BTRFS testing.