Re: [Xen-devel] [GIT PULL] xen: features and fixes for 4.8-rc0

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jul 27 2016 - 19:18:43 EST

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The STAO definition document:
>
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/mediawiki/images/0/02/Status-override-table.pdf
>
> requires as to "operate as if that device does not exist", quite literally.

Well, first off, documentation is one thing, actually changing
behavior is something entirely different.

Theory and practice are *not* the same.

The other worry I have is that I'd be happier if it's still visible in
/sys/bus/acpi/ etc. Again, it's one thing to not react to it
programmatically, and another thing entirely to actually hide the
information from the rest of the system.

If I read that patch right, it will be hidden from sysfs too. But
Maybe I'm mistaken.

Linus