Re: Volunteering for BeFS maintainership

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Tue Jul 26 2016 - 23:06:09 EST

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 09:30:13PM +0100, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:

> > Sounds great! Do you have a git tree set up for your befs development?
>
> Yes, I have the following in github (if that is OK):
> https://github.com/luisbg/linux-befs
>
> I have two branches there based on Linus' master:
> - befs-linus: with patches Andrew Morton has approved
> - befs-next: with patches I've tested but that remain under review

So it sounds like you plan to send patches through Andrew's tree.
That works fine, although if you end up sending a larger number of
patches through the linux-mm tree, it might make sense for you to send
patches to Linus directly. So if you have a chance to get a GPG key
which is signed by people in the Kernel keyring, that would be a good
preparation for that eventuality. That will require face-to-face
verification of your identity by people who are already in the GPG web
of trust, so it's good to plan for that in advance.

> It would be amazing to have a framework to run xfstests in a GCE VM.

Please see:

https://thunk.org/gce-xfstests

and

https://github.com/tytso/xfstests-bld/blob/master/README.md

for more information.

I plan to do some work to make it simpler to get started using
gce-xfstests. (Specifically, so you don't have to build the tree and
generate your own GCE image, but instead using a premade one.)

Are there userspace tools available to create and consistency check
BeFS file systems? If so, I can try to get those included into the
test appliance image. (Better yet, if you can arrange to have someone
create a debian package for BeFStools, that would be great.)

- Ted