Re: [RFC 3/3] watchdog: introduce CONFIG_WATCHDOG_OPEN_DEADLINE

From: Rasmus Villemoes
Date: Fri Jul 15 2016 - 03:42:40 EST

On 2016-07-14 16:42, Guenter Roeck wrote:
On 07/14/2016 02:16 AM, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:

+config WATCHDOG_OPEN_DEADLINE
+ bool "Allow deadline for opening watchdog device"
+ help
+ If a watchdog driver indicates that to the framework that
+ the hardware watchdog is running, the framework takes care
+ of pinging the watchdog until userspace opens
+ /dev/watchdogN. By selecting this option, you can set a
+ maximum time for which the kernel will do this after the
+ device has been registered.
+
+config WATCHDOG_OPEN_TIMEOUT
+ int "Timeout value for opening watchdog device"
+ depends on WATCHDOG_OPEN_DEADLINE
+ default 120000
+ help
+ The maximum time, in milliseconds, for which the watchdog
+ framework takes care of pinging a watchdog device. A value
+ of 0 means infinite. The value set here can be overridden by
+ the commandline parameter "watchdog.open_timeout" or through
+ sysfs.
+

I like the basic idea, and we always thought about implementing it,
though as "initial timeout" (I personally preferred that term).

I also used WATCHDOG_INIT_TIMEOUT in my first few drafts, and my helper watchdog_set_open_deadline was called watchdog_set_init_timeout. But then I stumbled on watchdog_init_timeout in watchdog_core.c, and thought that might end up being quite confusing. I think having 'open' part of the name is quite natural, but I don't really have strong feelings about the naming of this thing.

However, implementing it as configuration option diminishes its
value substantially, since it means that using it in multi-platform
images (such as multi_v7_defconfig) becomes impossible.

If one wants to allow this feature in an existing _defconfig, one can set OPEN_DEADLINE=y and OPEN_TIMEOUT=0; we could change the default for the latter to that. (I thought about just having that single config option with a default of 0, but it wasn't much more code to allow this thing to be compiled out completely.) Platforms without a running watchdog won't be affected, and for those with, having a non-zero deadline requires opt-in anyway.

The initial timeout should be specified as module option or as
devicetree parameter, and there should be no additional configuration
option.

I was under the impression that device tree was exclusively for describing hardware, and this certainly is not that. I also wanted to avoid having to modify each driver, which would seem to be necessary if it was module parameter/DT - the only thing required of a driver now is that it correctly reports WDOG_HW_RUNNING.

Regardless of implementation, it's not something that any "distro" kernel is going to enable (with non-zero deadline), so to use it will require some customization - which could be a .config tweak, passing a command line parameter, a custom dtb, and probably other options. ISTM that the first two are the most generic and require the least repeated work across platforms.

Where does the module parameter in watchdog_dev.c end up ?

# cat /sys/module/watchdog/parameters/open_timeout
120000

Rasmus