Re: [CRIU] Introspecting userns relationships to other namespaces?

From: James Bottomley
Date: Fri Jul 08 2016 - 10:37:15 EST

On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 02:44 -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Andrew Vagin <avagin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > > Given that the simple cases are so easy it probably doesn't
> > > matter in that sense.
> > >
> > > However we now have the case where user namespaces own pid
> > > namespaces, and uts namespaces, and network namespaces, and ipc
> > > namespaces, and filesystems. Throw in some mount propagation and
> > > use of setns and things could get confusing. It is something
> > > that will need to be figured out if CRIU is going to properly
> > > checkpoint containers containing containers containing containers
> > > containing containers.
> >
> > It isn't a joke:). We have a few requests to support CR of
> > containers with Docker containers inside. And we are going to start
> > this task in a near future, so we would like to have interface to
> > get dependencies between namespaces too.
> >
> > BTW: CRIU already supports nested mount namespaces, because systemd
> > creates them for services.
>
> The tricky part about this and what messes up James proposed plan is
> that the interface needs to be something that returns a namespace
> file descriptor. So we can't print something out in a simple text
> file.

I actually described two problems: the first was how we get the
information in the first place. Currently the owning or parent user_ns
is tucked inside an opaque structure. I think we need to move that to
ns_common where it would be the owning userns for all non-user
namespaces and the parent for the userns.

Once we actually have the information, we can also add a set of proc
links, say either

/proc/<pid>/ns/X-userns

Which might be a bit messy since it doubles the number of files, or
perhaps in a simple directory.

> Well I suppose we could print an device number and inode number pair.
> But then someone would still have to scour processes looking for a
> user namespace so that is likely less than ideal.

There's no reason any of the proposed methods so far have to be
exclusive: nsfs.c has a lot of flexibility.

> Starting with 4.8 we are also going to need to be able to retrieve
> the user namespace owner of filesystems. That will be an interesting
> mix.

This is per mount point, isn't it? so it can't be in /proc/fs/ and it
would have to be per local mount tree. Yes, that is a bit nasty.
Sounds like we might need to unfold mount or mountinfo into something
that has one directory per entry?

James