Re: Re: linux-next: Tree for Jun 27 (pinctrl && !CONFIG_OF)

From: Alexander Stein
Date: Wed Jun 29 2016 - 02:02:19 EST

On Tuesday 28 June 2016, 10:37:52 wrote Arnd Bergmann:
> > > I think the commit should just be reverted, it clearly breaks
> > > stuff, and whatever needs it can be fixed in a better way.
> >
> > Why not depend PINCTRL_IPROC_GPIO on CONFIG_OF as Randy stated
> > pinconf_generic_dt_node_to_map_pin and friends are only present if
CONFIG_OF
> > is enabled. Depending on OF_GPIO only is enough under the assumption a)
you
> > made below.
> > Also what about providing dummy implementation for those missing function
in
> > case CONFIG_OF is disabled, my preference as more code can be compile
tested.

> > > Specifically, we have three ways that the OF_GPIO symbol
> > > is used:
> > >
> > > a) it is implicitly enabled when both GPIOLIB and OF are turned on
> >
> > or if COMPILE_TEST is enabled
> >
> > I think a problem in this and possibly other cases is that COMPILE_TEST
> > loosens the Kconfig dependencies to some degree. How to proceed? Allow
compile
> > testing drivers only if some optional settings are enabled?
>
> I think we can start by reverting your patch: for compile-testing we can
> always enable CONFIG_OF these days, which will also turn on OF_GPIO.

My intention was to compile test (device tree) drivers also without CONFIG_OF
which is disabled by defconfig default on arch/x86/configs/*

> Compile-testing drivers that need OF_GPIO while OF is disabled makes
> no sense to me, it's not a configuration that anybody can ever use
> and it adds no build coverage.

That seems sensible. If we can agree that anyone who wants to compile test
drivers has to enable CONFIG_OF even it is not needed for the current
configuration.

Best regards,
Alexander