Re: kthread_stop insanity (Re: [[DEBUG] force] 2642458962: BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffffc90000997f18)

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Tue Jun 28 2016 - 14:58:21 EST

On 06/27, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> On 06/27, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> >
> > Want to send a patch? I could do it, but you understand this code
> > much better than I do.
>
> Well, I'll try to do this tomorrow unless you do it.

I have cloned luto/linux.git to see if kthread_stop() can pin ->stack
somehow, but it seems this is not possible, finish_task_switch() does
free_thread_stack() unconditionally.

Then how (say) proc_pid_stack() can work? If it hits the task which is
alreay dead we are (probably) fine, valid_stack_ptr() should fail iiuc.

But what if we race with the last schedule() ? "addr = *stack" can read
the already vfree'ed memory, no?

Looks like print_context_stack/etc need probe_kernel_address or I missed
something.

Oleg.