[RFC] Can we bypass the timeout when resetting Synaptics device?

From: Yu Chen
Date: Mon Jun 27 2016 - 09:05:08 EST

Hi All,
Currently I'm doing some tunings on the speed of suspend/resume,
it looks like my serio driver tooks a 200ms to finish, which is
too long:

[ 1120.255783] calling serio0+ @ 2764, parent: i8042
[ 1120.452976] call serio0+ returned 0 after 192472 usecs

So further investigation shows that the time cost is in
drivers/input/serio/libps2.c: __ps2_command

/*
* Some devices (Synaptics) peform the reset before
* ACKing the reset command, and so it can take a long
* time before the ACK arrives.
*/
if (ps2_sendbyte(ps2dev, command & 0xff,
command == PS2_CMD_RESET_BAT ? 1000 : 200)) {
serio_pause_rx(ps2dev->serio);
goto out_reset_flags;
}
If I understand correctly, if it is a Synaptics device, then we have to wait
at least 200ms for ATKBD_CMD_RESET_DEF, although this device has already
been reset.

So my question is, could we add flags to distinguish Synaptics device, and
if it is a Synaptics device, just do not wait that long time and
return after the command
has been sent out?

thanks,
Yu